What Does Child theme mean?
Child theme is the exact replica of the parent theme that en-queues all functionalities and styles from the parent theme. The main use of child theme is to allow customization in the theme files – without having to worry about any updates breaking the changes you have made in the theme files.
In cases where you need to override theme templates or add code for custom functionality, we recommend using a child theme. Code added with child theme will not be affected by the parent theme updates.
How to install child theme for Astra?
With Astra you get ready to use child theme. So that you don’t have to code for it. 🙂
- Enter the name you wish to give your child theme.
- If you want to add your own branding, click on advanced options and where you can edit the Theme name, version, author, author URL, description, folder name, and screenshot.
- Once done, click on Generate. The child theme you just generated gets downloaded on your computer.
- You can now install it like any other WordPress theme.
- Feel free to copy any necessary Astra theme files in this child theme and customize them as you need.
Here is a nice video made by Davinder on Learn @ BasicWP that explains the steps in detail.
Some Pro Tips:
- If you would like to learn more about the child themes in general, check this nice article on Smashing Magazine.
- To load unminified files of the Astra theme, use SCRIPT_DEBUG Constant.