Child theme makes it easy to customize the theme files without having to worry about any updates breaking the changes you have made in the theme files.
- Enter the name you wish to give your child theme.
- If you want to add your own branding, click on advanced options and where you can edit the Theme name, version, author, author URL, description, folder name, and screenshot.
- Once done, click on Generate. The child theme you just generated gets downloaded on your computer.
- You can now install it like any other WordPress theme.
- Feel free to copy any necessary Astra theme files in this child theme and customize them as you need.
Here is a nice video made by Davinder on Learn @ BasicWP that explains the steps in detail.
Some Pro Tips:
- If you would like to learn more about the child themes in general, check this nice article on Smashing Magazine.
- To load unminified files of the Astra theme, use SCRIPT_DEBUG Constant.